Monday, May 27, 2013

The Sounds of Summer

Today, Memorial Day is a day set aside to honor and pay tribute to those who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. There are many ceremonies, laying of wreaths on graves, parades and speeches.



Memorial Day also is the unofficial start of summer. It's time for wearing white clothes, going to the beach, picnics and other enjoyable outdoor activities.

My day was spent -- as is my habit these days -- outside. Finishing up the planting, tidying up and watering, as rain is needed. It was a rather hot and humid day but in the late afternoon it cooled down and was a pleasure to be out of doors.

The most interesting sounds can be heard after dark during the summer. Crickets, frogs, cicadas and birds tune up and it's a wonderful sound to enjoy. 

I thought you might enjoy hearing the symphony performed on my front lawn. With the last remnant of red in the western sky, I pointed my phone toward a small stream flush with frogs.  With three kitty cats at my feet, this is what I heard.

(Turn your volume up)


I had wanted to get a short video of lightening bugs, or fireflies, but they did not cooperate tonight.

What is your favorite part of summer?



4 comments:

  1. Oh, I could listen to those sounds all night! We spend much of the summer in the mountains and my favorite part of summer is swimming outdoors at the community pool, being able to sit on the deck until late in the evening, looking at the stars in the night sky.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I could listen to the sounds forever. Being lulled off to sleep with that sound coming from the open window is pure bliss.

      Delete
  2. Listening to your video, sounded like being in a small jungle. All those sounds.
    My favorite part of summer?

    Maybe it´s just now. Everything is fresh and green, the sun is shining, warm - not hot, and I´ve about done with the chores I had on my to- do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Mette. Now, before it gets too hot and everything is still fresh and green, is the best part of summer!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...