I’ve been applying it for dry, winter itchy skin and can report it works wonders. I've also been dabbing a small amount under make-up and it does give a dewy, luminescent look.
Using it regularly caused me to do a bit of research to find out if it was an accepted potion to apply to the skin. What I found out is, yes, it’s OK on your skin. The cosmetic-grade petroleum jelly, according to some sources, will NOT clog pores.
I found out Marilyn Monroe was devoted to using petroleum jelly under her makeup for a dewy look. Read the article here for her make-up secrets. Here's another article about Jennifer Aniston and her use of the product.
There are multiple uses for the product, not just those beauty related. Sharing here some of what I have found. Perhaps you’d like to try them, too.
50 Uses for Vaseline (from christinalove.com)
1. Put a coat on your eyelashes before you go to bed. Lots of people swear by this – and say it will make your lashes grow longer and thicker over time.
2. Put a coat on your feet, day or night, cover them with socks several hours and greet your softer feet.
3. Put on your elbows every day – they will stay soft!
4. Put on your cuticles several times a day for softer and better looking cuticles.
5. Put on chapped lips
6. Use as lip gloss
7. Mix a little with a little Kool-Aid powder and make a colored and flavored lip gloss! (This one is not for me!)
8. Melt with one chocolate chip in the microwave, mix and let resolidify for chocolate lip gloss! (Nor is this one.)
9. Maintains perfume scent longer when applied at perfume points before spritzing the perfume. (I'll try it!)
10. Can be used as a moisturizer for acne sufferers (it is a misconception that it clogs pores).
11. Moisturizes severely dry skin. (Yes it does!)
12. Use on your knees to prevent that dry, ashy look.
13. Mix with sea salts to make a scrub!
14. Apply on your teeth prevents lips from sticking to teeth.
15. Applied on teeth before applying lipstick prevents lipstick from sticking on them.
16. Massage over entire body.
17. Warmed up can be used as a night cream.
18. Makeup remover. (I have been using as an eye make-up remover.)
19. Protects skin exposed to adverse weather.
20. Apply under eye shadow for a shimmery effect.
21. Apply on cheeks for a dewy look.
22. Can be used to smooth and soothe skin after shaving.
23. Used in manicures under cuticles.(Not sure I know what this means. Under cuticles?)
24. Gets rid of dry skin lines which can arise from washing.
25. Lubricates ear lobes and helps to make earring insertion easy and painless.
26. Keeps fingernails pliable and resilient.
27. Use with your lipstick to create a cream blusher for your cheeks.
28. Helps to ease off stuck on rings.
29. Tames unruly eyebrows.
30. Defines eyelashes and leaves them with a glossy and waterproof look.
31. Conditions scalp pre-shampooing.
32. Can help prevent chaffing.
33. Aids with healing after cosmetic surgery procedures.
34. Reduces scaling and itching associated with dandruff.
35. Therapeutic when applied to lesions caused by poison ivy.
36. Can help improve condition of those with atopic eczema.
37. Helps heal and protect new tattoos. (No tattoos here!)
38. Can protect against harmful hair dyeing, perming and straightening chemicals when used as a mask around the hairline.
39. Use a tiny dab to put a quick shine on your shoes and bags. (Works!)
40. Smear a tiny bit on your hands and scrunch through your hair for a choppy look.
41. Use just a touch on the ends of your hair to hide dry and split ends.
42. Remove makeup stains from clothing.
43. Rub Vaseline on the neck of your nail polish bottles and they won’t get stuck to the caps. (What a great idea!)
44. Make your week old nail polish look new again – rub a small dab over the polish.
45. Use a touch of Vaseline mixed with powder eyeshadow pigment to make new colors, or a more solid eyeshadow that won’t get all over your face when you put it on.
46. Stretch your favorite lotion by mixing it with Vaseline.
47. Put Vaseline on your lips, leave it a few minutes, then scrub your lips with a toothbrush to exfoliate and leave them SO smooth
48. Remove false eyelash glue from your lash line. (No false eyelashes here!)
49. Apply a small amount on dry spots on your body before fake tanning lotions are applied, and prevent uneven tanning!
50. Generously apply Vaseline all over before taking flights to combat associated dryness.
Beautylish.com has an article about what petroleum jelly "is" in an article titled, Is Vaseline the Secret to Ageless Skin?
Have you already -- or do you think you will try -- any of the above tips?