Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The White Album

No, not THAT one -- (the Beatles 1968 album viewed by critics as one of the greatest albums of all time.)

Instead, a few of the white flowers in my garden. Just a few but more to come as May progresses (Deutzia, Roses, Cleome, Gypsophila, Daisy, Magnolias, all in white of course).

White Iris

Late Narcissus 

Shamrock

White Foxglove -- a surprise this, as I only found it today tucked among other plants. I must have strewn seeds but I have no recollection of planting them!

Mock Orange. The tiny pristine blossoms truly smell like an orange grove.



White Clematis



One might view my back garden and think it colorless, which it is. All green and white. (OK, so I do have red and pink roses!) But I planned it that way because in my opinion there's nothing more beautiful than white flowers.

In the shade they shine. After the sun sets, they provide a magical setting when the moonlight illuminates them. Soothing. That's what a garden is all about for me!

Soothing is not the word, however, for all the work required to whip mine into shape each spring. I suppose I have fertile soil, as the weeds grow rampant over the winter and early spring.

But now that I'm "almost" done I hope to get back onto a more regular schedule of blogging, responding to your comments, and reading/commenting on your blogs.

As you might imagine, I also have been somewhat negligent in my indoor duties -- cleaning and cooking -- but we have survived quite well without those chores being accomplished.

10 comments:

  1. I'd swear every time I see a photo of a beautiful iris I can smell them - takes me straight back to my Mom's garden when I was a kid. Now the weather is (occasionally) a bit nicer, we've been trying to get caught up with spring planting and tidying. Something has to give - time & energy one or the other or both run out! Most things can be neglected for a little while with no adverse effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a white garden - you are definitely not alone. One of the first white gardens was created by the great garden guru Vita Sackville-West at Sissinghurst in Kent, and it is an absolute delight.
    Foxgloves are always arriving in our garden much to the delight of my husband, I think that they must be spread by the birds. It is biennial so takes the seed two years before it flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sanda

    Your garden is delightful. The shades and tones of white always delight. It is difficult to keep a white garden as the birds like to play tricks and drop coloured seeds. The foxglove is a favourite of mine too, I would love to find one in my garden
    Hope your week is joyful and enjoy your garden.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Phillip but seeing it in person today was even more beautiful. Thanks for allowing Limestone Co MG to visit again this year. As usual, everything is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. guess I made the comment on the wrong blog!!! Yours is also just gorgeous and I know how much you love the white flowers. Phillip had some beautiful white things blooming today and I guess I had him on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. White definitely. Had I the energy in me, I´d have white, white everywhere too.
    Good for you : ).

    ReplyDelete
  7. mock orange was in my backyard as i was growing up as part of a fence-lining hedgerow. sweet! i have a couple of shamrocks in pots, and am always surprised at how easy they are to keep despite how delicate they look. great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a collection of white flowers that I don't even miss the colors. Thanks for those great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your white garden must be very restful. I would think it especially so on a hot day.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  10. A white garden is calming and serene,soothes the troubled mind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...