Wednesday, March 5, 2014

26 Best Beauty Products of All Time

The March 2014 issue of Real Simple magazine features 26 beauty products that have stood the test of time. Three hundred experts, including Real Simple readers, editors and industry pros have chosen the winners.

Why? "Because they are wonderful -- and they work."

Take a look at the list and if you have opinions on any of these products, please share them in your comment.


1. Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair
2. Calgon Bubble Bath
3. Q-tips
4. Dove Beauty Bar
5. Vaseline
6. ChapStick
7. Oil of Olay Beauty Fluid
8. Pond's Cold Cream

9.  Aquaphor (healing ointment)
10. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
11. Clinique Facial Soap Bar
12. Biore Strips (blackhead remover)

13. AquaNet (hairspray)
14. Dippity-do (styling gel)
15. Johnson's Baby Shampoo
16. John Frieda Frizz Ease
17. Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Shampoo
18. Aveda Shampure (shampoo)
19. Herbal Essences Shampoo

20. Coty Airspun Face Powder
21. Chanel No. 5 (perfume)
22. White Diamonds Elizabeth Taylor (perfume)
23. MAC Cosmetics Lip Pencil in Spice
24. Maybelline New York Great Lash Mascara
25. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage (concealer)
26. Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker (lip gloss)

The items in bold are ones I've used -- many of them, such as Oil of Olay, Herbal Essences Shampoo,Clinique Facial Soap, AquaNet and Dippity-do -- years ago.

Q-tips, Dove Soap, Vaseline, Aveda Shampoo and Chanel No. 5 are the items I currently buy/use.

I wouldn't mind trying the MAC lip pencil and Laura Mercier camouflage.

It's an interesting list; most of the products are quite inexpensive.

I don't subscribe to Real Life but occasionally pick up an issue. They have interesting articles. You can check them out online here.

Do you see anything on the list you like or use? Are you tempted to try any now they are rated so highly by Real Life?

What are some of your favorite magazines? Are you a subscriber or just occasionally purchase a copy?

19 comments:

  1. What an interesting list. It includes things I love and things I think are worthless - like those Biore strips which never worked for any of my children or their friends. Didn't know they still sold them. And Frizz Ease is my absolute last choice to control my hair. There are so many other products, like Biosilk or Chi that work better, or Argon Oil. Aveda's new Dry Remedy Daily Oil is as good as any of them and makes your hair feel nicer.
    But I love Airspun Powder, Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, NY Great Lash Mascara, and of course Q-Tips.
    I love Martha Stewart's magazine, but prefer the electronic version because I would have no room left in my house if I got the paper kind. But I might just get the current one with the Macrons on the cover to store with my cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that Martha Steward magazine cover with macarons and almost bought it, but didn't because I already have about four recipes for them I haven't got around to trying yet.

      Delete
  2. i still use ponds cold cream! i'll try some of the things on this list that i haven't tried before to see if i like them.

    i'm feeling very old, remembering when some of these products first came on the market lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing: AquaNet hairspray and Dippity-do were a part of my teenage years! I always thought AquaNet smell awful! I guess it still does.

      Delete
  3. Hello Sanda,

    An intriguing list, many old favourites we see. Chanel no. 5 continues to hold a place on my dressing table. It is now saturated into all my clothes and every pore of my body so it travels with me everywhere! Somehow, no other perfume has ever managed to find its way into my life.....and now we both wear Chanel but not the same variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello to you, Jane and Lance
      I am so addicted to Chanel No. 5. Oddly enough, though, I love the scent of the Body Cream more than the perfume.

      Delete
  4. Dear Sanda - Yesterday I read on another blog how good the Maybelline New York Great Lash Mascara is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a worldwide favorite. It doesn't work that great for me, though. I keep looking for the perfect one but haven't found it yet.

      Delete
  5. I used Ponds Cold Cream and Maybelline Mascara for many years, until I decided to give up Parabens. Many of these products I am unfamiliar with but they all sound good. Chanel No 5 and Q tips are still part of my daily life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it difficult to find products without parabens? I've been thinking of getting the Clinique facial bar again. I like washing my face with water after using a cleansing cream.

      Delete
  6. I bought the Estee Lauder product, since it got excellent reviews in one other magazine as well.
    I´ll report later about it, so far - no complaints.
    I use the Dove shower liquid soap, body cream, deodorant. The scent is mild, so there won´t be a crash with the scent of my perfume.
    I am not a subscriber of any magazines, only buy one occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do report back on the EL product. I have thought about buying it.
      I love Dove, and recently have found Nivea soap, which I also like. It is similar to the Dove bar in feel and scent.

      Delete
  7. The list is heavily oriented for the US market. I recognize most things on the list, but I've maybe used one or two of them.
    These days my go to brand for cosmetic products is Alverde, a brand of organic products from a German conglomerate dm - drogerie markt. Their hand soap, shower gels and body lotions are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, oriented for the US market. I am not familiar with Alverde. If I ever see their products I'll have to give them a try.

      Delete
  8. Am waiting for Mette's feedback on the EL,have never used her products.Ponds cream is an oldie but goodie as they say,and still seems to be selling well.
    I can only use soap, without any added chemicals as I suffer from contact dermatitis,and I have you to thank as I found Lovely Greens soaps through your blog,can even use them on my face and it leaves it moisturised,bliss.
    Country life,The English home are 2 monthly magazines I enjoy,mostly read others at the hairdresser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing as good as homemade soap without all the additives. Good old Ponds has been around forever.

      Delete
  9. I thought it weird that my experience with these products seems to be in numerical order: 5, 6, 7, 8; 14, 15, 16; 21. Not sure what that means? Still don't know who has the fish (but I might come back to that one). Current favourite mags are out of Sunday papers my friend Vivien buys. She gives me the mags, I give them to Lucy, Lucy takes them to the hospital waiting room. All v. light-hearted stuff on style and such. I've read Real Simple - the only time I buy mags these days is at an airport / train station before a long journey. Otherwise I look at their websites or read blogs instead! Others send me magazines to go same route as above and I'm amazed at how boring they are - at least half adverts and the rest mostly stuff I know or stuff I just don't believe. I loved Eve Magazine when it was published by the BBC, but it went down the pan years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you that the so-called women's magazines are so boring and repetitive. Been there done that! The articles are so simple minded!

      Delete
  10. Randomly found your blog and I’d like to say that you have amazing design, beautiful photos and interesting posts! I’m also impressed by your style! Everything is perfect!
    Natural Beauty Products
    https://savarnasmantra.com/blogs/blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...