Friday, June 13, 2014

Sunscreens

When shopping for a sunscreen, it’s easy to become overwhelmed by all the choices. Is one sunscreen as good as another? What should you look for? Does price make a difference?
This is the sunscreen my dermatologist recommended. It is widely available, at around $15.

I recently visited my dermatologist for the removal of a rough nodule on my finger. Over the years I’ve had numerous such lesions, mostly on my hands and lower arms, but occasionally on my face. Classified as “pre-cancerous,” they are removed by a freezing process.

I have been using sunscreen for years, and wonder why I still get these. I always apply sunscreen to my face and neck during my morning skin care regimen, but there are times I don’t religiously apply it to my hands and arms. Not good; I need to do it every day.

A few facts about rays from the sun:

UVA Rays are constantly present, no matter the season or the weather. They are so powerful they also penetrate some clothing and even glass. UVA rays used to be considered relatively safe, in terms of the sun's rays, and that's why tanning beds, which use UVA rays, took center stage. UVA rays are responsible for the signs of aging because they are able to penetrate much deeper into the surface of the skin, damaging the cells beneath.

When you think sings of aging, think UVA Rays.

UVB Rays are what give us a sunburn. Unlike UVAs, these rays aren't always the same strength year round. While more prevalent in the summer months, they are able to reflect off of water or snow. UVB rays are responsible for causing most skin cancers. While large doses of UVA rays can contribute to cancer, it's the UVB rays that are commonly to blame.

If you've heard the advice to stay out of the sun though the mid day hours, it's the UVB rays you're trying to avoid. They are most prevalent mid-day, so if you must be out at that time, protect your skin. 

When you think sun burn and cancer, think UVB rays.

Now we obviously want full protection, a sunscreen that protects against both types of rays. All sunscreens protect against UVBs, but it wasn't until recent years that sunscreen started including UVA protection. And in fact, not all sunscreens do. Look for one that specifically says UVA/UVB or "broad spectrum coverage" on the bottle.

Use a minimum of SPF 15 and reapply every hour or two at the very most.
Now here’s something that was new to me: How long your protection lasts. Here’s the formula. Take the number of SPF and multiply it by 10. That is the length of time you'd be safe from the sun's rays (assuming perfect conditions; no water or perspiring  taken into account.)

For example: SPF 50 x 10 = 500 minutes, or just over 8 hours, of sun protection.

So why do they recommend reapplying every two hours???

One note on the broad spectrum creams: They are thick and don’t easily absorb into the skin, apparently because of the zinc oxide (which protects against UVAs). But this is a small price to pay for the sun protection needed, don’t you think?

Apparently, price does NOT make a difference. Here's a list that compares the cost/effectiveness of some common sunscreen brands. According to the article, price apparently does NOT make a difference, but I think I'll stick with what my dermatologist recommended.

So that’s what I’ve recently learned about sunscreens. Perhaps I should have known these things already, especially since my skin is fair and I’m prone to problems.

Do you have a sunscreen recommendation? If so, please share.


18 comments:

  1. I'm going to do better. I stay outside at least 6 hrs everyday and never use sunscreen..I have skin like you that's fair and prone to the same problems, but....like the bug spray...I hate the feel of it on my skin. I'm going to try as I know I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your day moisturizer probably contains sunscreen so I would imagine you're getting some protection. Foundation usually has it as well. I know what you means: too many things to put on our skin when we go outside, which is most of the time for us!

      Delete
  2. I've used moisturizer on my face and hands since my mid-twenties, though I can't tell you if it's done much good! I always get a moisterizer for my face with sunscreen in, but I've no idea if it's 'broad spectrum' or not. I don't spend a great deal of time outdoors, perhaps an hour here or there, running or gardening. Sunshine is a precious thing where I live; not terrible rare, but rarely combined with weather warm enough to bare your skin (living next to the North Sea with it's chilly winds doesn't help). I spent years cooking myself in my youth in Oklahoma so I figure I've already done the worst of the damage. My arms look like lizard skin next to the baby skin of one of my English friends who has never sunbathed. Skin cancers have risen sharply here in Britain since the time when charter flights to Spain and other sunny places became generally affordable. I must admit, I only use sunscreen on my body when I go abroad - I figure I need all the Vitamin D I can get here! One thing that always confuses me about sunscreen is that they tell you to buy a new bottle every year, as it loses its protection when it ages. So why have I never seen a 'use by' date put on the bottle? I should think the companies would need it for stock control if nothing else. Unless they don't care that it's out of date; or it doesn't really lose the protection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the damage we did to our skins when we were young and reckless. I remember getting so badly sunburned I had blisters. Never thought about the use by date. It IS odd its not on there.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know about UVA/UVB Sanda, thank you for explaining it. Queensland is known, unfortunately, as having the world's highest rate of skin cancer. We are fair skinned people living in the tropics. I have had some skin cancers taken off including one on my upper lip, and always use sunscreen. It is hard to keep it up all day every day so I fail quite a bit on the every 2 hours. However always apply it liberally for my daily walk. I use a variety of brands: roll on lotions for in my purse, thick cream SPF50 for maximum protection, some moisturiser spf 15 if not out in the sun much. I also throw out any sunscreens which have been around for over about 6 months, especially if I accidentally leave them in the car. With global warming we have to be extra vigilent. Good subject, Sanda, and your dermatologist suggestion looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as if you are doing all the right things, Patricia. Fair skinned people are more apt to get problems due to sun exposure. I guess in the olden days people just didn't live long enough to develop skin problems from the sun.

      Delete
  4. Hello Sanda,
    I am very behind with my blogging and comments.
    I am so pleased to have read this post. Only yesterday, i was saying to myself.. val, you must get of to the chemist and get a good sun block.. being a red head, i have to be careful.
    I have some little signs on my skin from sailing and living outside in the summer months. I probably should make a trip to the dermatologist.
    I have to admit. I go for 3 or 4 days with zest putting on my creams -then i tend to relax.
    Its not good.
    Thank you Sanda for this subject on the sun's rays.. they are so dangerous.
    I go out with a hat on all the time when in the garden.
    wishing you a good weekend. val xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Valerie, I certainly can identify with your zest for 3-4 days of doing something and then slacking off. I find myself guilty of the same with most regimens I start. Although I am pretty consistent about the sunscreen. Just wanting to avoid visits to the dermatologist I suppose!

      Delete
  5. Hello Sanda

    You offer very good advice here. I am fair-skinned and do use sun block regularly and wear a hat and long sleeves when outdoors.
    I have not always been so careful and spent my youth on beaches in Australia, Hawaii and the Caribbean.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Helen! We loved those beaches/sun when we were young and thought the tans looked so good (they did) although I envied my friends who tanned easily. I did not.

      Delete
  6. Good info Sanda, I'll make use of the list on the link. I do wear sunscreen faithfully but I also go swimming outdoors a lot in the summer. My dermatologist says none of them are "waterproof" no matter what they say. I sometimes wear a tee shirt over my bathing suit. That helps a little and since it is a very country casual pool no one looks at me too oddly. I dislike the spray sunscreens, the bottles are always a mess for me after a few uses.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe I've ever tried the spray sunscreens. One thing I keep meaning to ask the dermatologist and always forget is this: If your sunscreen is, say 35 SPF and your foundation is 15 SPF, do you have 50 SPF?

      Delete
  7. I use a Neutrogena sunscreen that has a rating of 100. I don't reapply it unless I'm in the water. I don't burn when I wear it, which is nice. There's no strong smell, and it goes on smoothly. I also wear a hat and sunglasses. I do try to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used Neutrogena sunscreen as well, and like it. In fact, I'm a big fan of all Neutrogena skin care products. I try to remember to wear a hat when outside working my eye doctor recommends wearing sunglasses to protect against macular degeneration. I always wear sunglasses!

      Delete
  8. Somehow I have managed to - out from nowhere I know create - an illness called SLE.
    Mine is the type, which appears on all the parts of my skin exposed to sun. I really should not be out at all.
    However, I have to hop in and out in all kinds of weathers, but always wear a long sleeved T and pants and this has worked ( so far ).
    Confessing that I lack a sunhat, purely due to my vanity.
    Thank you very much for your informative post : ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mette, I had to look up what SLE is; a type of Lupus. So I'm assuming you get the red patches of rashes? Trusting you are under the doctor's care for it. Well, I think the sunhats are very stylish!

      Do you have the mosquito problem there? We do, and have to use a product to protect for that too. So many things!

      Delete
  9. As a redhead am very aware of the above excellent information.Last week I was careless, and my arms were burnt bright red!! owing to wearing short sleeved tee,thankfully my sun hat protected my face.I try to stay out of the mid-day sun + wear sun glasses/large hat, slap on La Roche-Posay 50+ sunscreen,recommended by my dermatologist x3 times daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch to the sunburn! I haven't had a sunburn in years but know from my youth how painful they are It's going to be 95F here today, so I'll be inside until it cools off toward evening.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...