Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sweet Smells of Summer


Beatrice Emma Parsons (1869-1955)
The Smell of Summer
Pencil and watercolour heightened with white
While some might label themselves visual – needing to see something to understand it – I consider myself an “olfactory” person, meaning my sense of smell is strong and has the power to create moods, transport me to another time and place and generate certain emotions.

I know that summer has really arrived when I smell it. For me it’s not barbeque grills, suntan lotion or even freshly mown grass.

It’s the scents of nature, the smell of the soil and the atmosphere.

Early morning smells are different from those of midafternoon, and different still from the evening scents.

I walk outdoors in the early morning and breathe in the damp, almost musty smell of the earth awakening from a restful sleep, the lingering scent of dew on foliage.

By midday the smell of the heat takes center stage, as dry, humid air has a scent all its own. Then, as night approaches, sweet scents of night blooming flowers – honeysuckle, flowering tobacco, evening primrose – woo the olfactory sense.

The sounds of summer also are special. Who can resist listening to the crickets, frogs and night-singing Mockingbird? But it’s the scents that best define the season for me.

Smelling the Abelia bush in bloom takes me back to late summer afternoons on my grandmother’s porch. Honeysuckle evokes memories of rides down country lanes in late afternoon with the car windows down, wind on my face.

Freshly plowed plots remind me of daddy’s vegetable garden; I smell the earth and see him there, hoe in hand, carefully checking the progress of his tomatoes.

Summer has a special meaning for most people, defined by vacations, the beach, suntans, swimming, picnics and the like. But give me the scents of summer and my memory bank allows me to travel to places and people I shall never see again.

Sweet scents and sweet memories.

12 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I think the sense of smell brings wonderful memories. Sometimes I am caught by surprise at the nostalgia experienced in the sudden scent of a long-forgotten plant, or the particular air on a mountain, or a stream. Old thoughts from childhood can come tumbling back just from the smells of nature. A lovely illustration for a lovely post, Sanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that painting was nice! And the title fit perfectly for the post. Well, I forgot to mention the smell of a summer rain! Is anything better than that?

      Delete
  2. Although I am more a visual person sometimes I'll catch the scent of something that sparks a memory too. I imaging your garden is such a pleasure to wander through.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having lots of rain again, so everything is growing lush. The weeds, too!

      Delete
  3. You describe the smells/scents of a garden perfectly.Cricket on village greens hearing the crack of "leather on willow" the men in white makes me very nostalgic,the long evening shadows thrown over the lawns,the scent of Stocks,heady scent of wild honeysuckle in the old hedgerows,beautiful Summer days........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the scent of stocks! I do love that smell and the plants are so beautiful. Unfortunately, we cannot grow them where I live. I have started them from seed in past years, only to see them wither in our hot and humid summers. You get a few weeks pleasure from them in spring if you start them early enough, which is well worth the effort for the scent.

      Delete
  4. Stumbled across your blog and was drawn in by this post. Very soothing and playfully nostalgic! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, Mike. Please visit again!

      Delete
  5. I echo Judith above. You are a storyteller and a smeller ( not knowing if the word exists ).
    I remember the smell of tomatoes in the greenhouse; so intense, as is the heat in one too.
    The smell of the bird-cherrytree is very recognizable.
    A horse most certainly smells different in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smeller seems like a perfectly good word! I like the smell of greenhouses in general. The damp, moist smell of dirt and things growing. Tomatoes definitely have their own unique scent.

      Delete
  6. Sanda, what a lovely post. It captures a lot of nostalgia. I love the picture and your descriptions of various scents (I almost said odours but that has a different connotation!). I've read that the sense of smell is in one of the older parts of our brain and this is why smells trigger such strong emotions. Living in a colder climate I don't notice many scents these days - or perhaps my sense of smell is fading with age - but I am enjoying my lavender and the white roses have come out and have a nice scent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shelley, I never thought about it, but perhaps the colder climate does make a difference in scents. Enjoy your lavender and white roses!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...