I decided to cut fresh herbs to make a blend that's very good for mixing with olive oil for bread. Here, I have the beginning of a small batch consisting of thyme, rosemary, oregano and chives. I chopped and added dried parsley (would have added fresh, but rabbits got all mine this year!), minced garlic, red pepper flakes, sea salt and black pepper. This mixture needs refrigeration.
It tastes almost like the one I buy at the store for $6! And every bit as good.
For a healthy lunch today I prepared a salad consisting of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, scallions, black beans, black olives, avocado, poached egg, chopped basil, lemon juice and garlic-flavored vinegar. I am a believer in the Meditterean way of eating!
Water tastes even better with mint ice cubes and poured into a pretty stemmed glass.
Ah, what says summer better than a refreshing slice of watermelon?
I don't think I've reported in the blog the latest on Mommie Sox. As you know, she was living at the barn with her five kittens -- now three months old. Two weeks ago Sox was in for spaying and I brought her to house to recover.She has been living happily in a secluded room in the basement. She was very quiet the first week and I don't think the dogs knew of her presence. She's feeling much better now and Kris is definitely wise to her being there. He whines when I go downstairs to attend to her needs. He ordinarily goes with me to the basement each time I go (as he follows every step I make). Valerie, another story. She has NEVER gone downstairs; we have tried for three years to entice her but she will not. She apparently had some bad experience in her past with steps, or a basement, or something.
But back to Sox. We have decided to make a house cat of her. She is the absolute sweetest kitty I have ever known. She appears perfectly happy to be inside. I am still working on a plan to introduce her to the dogs. More on that as the plan develops.
And the kittens don't appear to miss her either! The strange ways of animals.
Isn't she pretty?
I'll close out this mish-mash of subjects today by showing a few skin care products I love.
1. Clarins Huile Orchidee Bleue Face Treatment Oil - I use it about three times a week as a night moisturizer. Good for dehydrated skin. Smells divine.
2. Weleda Birch Cellulite Oil.
3. Argan Oil - To condition the hair, but I use it as a foot massage; also good for dry skin.
4. Evian Affinity Holiday Skin Tan and Tone - I'm not a big fan of self-tanning products, but this gives just a hint of color, nothing drastic, plus it's a great moisturizer.
5. Elizabeth Arden Peel and Reveal facial mask - Use two or three times a week.
6. Evian facial spray - Great for hot summer days. I keep one in my handbag.
7. Dr. Tichenor's peppermint mouthwash concentrate - Love peppermint mouthwash and this is the best.
8. Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse - plant oils and Vitamin E. For some reason, this looks good on days you don't want to use a foundation. Gives your skin a glow.
9. Clarins Body Treatment Oil, "Relax." 100% plant extracts; use after shower. Smell of essential oills - so nice!