Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye is one of those touchstone novels for young people coming of age.


I was sorting through some old books the other day and found my copy – now tattered and worn. But it should be; it’s old like me! I'm rather amazed I still have it after all these years and through so many moves.

How well I remember the first day of school as I began my senior year of high school. In English/Literature class, Mrs. Hannah passed around mimeographed copies of the class requirements. Included was the name of our textbook for the year, as well as additional reading assignments for the semester: The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger; Green Mansions by William Henry Hudson; and The Ugly American by Eugene Burdick and William Lederer.

Now I know you may be thinking, “how in the world does she remember that?” (I admit I had to look up author names of the last two books mentioned). But I do remember because of the humorous story associated with The Catcher in the Rye.

When we returned to class on the second day of school, Mrs. Hannah announced a change to the reading list: we were to delete The Catcher in the Rye. She announced the title of the book she was substituting (now that one I CANNOT recall!)

This is how the book begins
One student asked why she was removing it and she replied (something to the effect of), “it’s been determined it’s not appropriate; it’s a bit too racy.”

Well, of course, that did it. Every student sitting in class hurried out to a bookstore to buy and devour the book. It became a big joke in our class for the remainder of the year. All of us read it, so we just discussed it among ourselves.

Looking back, it seems odd, in a way. It’s certainly a novel of teenage angst and alienation and has a liberal dose of profanity and sexuality, but considering what 16-year-olds are exposed to these days, it seems mild in comparison. But the times have changed so much.

There’s a very interesting piece on the National Public Radio website about Salinger, his life and how the novel’s publication affected him.

Here's a quote from the NPR story:

"J.D. Salinger spent 10 years writing The Catcher in the Rye and the rest of his life regretting it," according to a new book about one of America's best-known and most revered writers.

The back cover of my book

Salinger died three years ago at the age of 91. He published four books, The Catcher in the Rye being by far the most popular. It has sold more than 65 million copies, has been translated into almost all of the world's major languages, and continues to sell about 250,000 copies each year.

Have you ever read it?

12 comments:

  1. I read it in my senior year, it was mandatory reading in our English class. While at the same time Stranger by Camus was mandatory in my French class.
    Looking back I must confess that I could never properly connect to that scared, angry young boy who was way too mature for his age. There were memorable glimpses, like his keen sense of observation, his dry sense of humour...the ducks in the pond at Central Park.
    I think it's a book about adolescence that isn't meant for actual adolescents but rather people who are much older and able to look back fondly and nostalgically on this period of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was written for adults too but it's message, at least one of them was the "phoniness " of life in the 50s, as perceived by youth, which gave way to the anything goes of the children of the 60s. It's message of rebellion much appealed to the young.

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, I suspect we still have the Catcher round here somewhere, along with Lord of the Rings, Brave New World, 1984 - and lots of Dickens and Brontes. All devoured in our youth, and holding special memories of earnest teenage discussions. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book has a special place for me in my memory bank. In many ways I could not identify with Holden Caulfield but he was an exotic figure, going out on his own and being such a rebel.

      Delete
  3. Reminds me of the trial of the book Lady Chatterley's Lover by D H Lawrence,called obscence,the Penguin publishers were found not guilty by 12 jurors and was published in the UK......this was the early sixities!! Lead to massive sales,very tame by todays standards.D H lawrence is one of my favourite authors.
    No I have not read Catcher,maybe I should what is the story line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sixteen year old boy who has flunked out of numerous expensive prep schools in the 1950s is disillusioned with life and is trying to find himself.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I read it as a young adult and also his Franny and Zooey. While I thought it was interesting I really didn't get what all the controversy was about. My daughter on the other hand read it later as a young teen and to this day says it made a huge impression on her.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was his language that shocked many people. Holden is such a sad figure; obviously very intelligent but confused

      Delete
  5. I have not read the book, but I have the feeling, that my daughters have - when in school.
    Maybe I should, as it seems that Everyone has read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a relatively short book. I'll bet your daughters read it during their youth. It's an interesting little book

      Delete
  6. I have read this but I came to it 'late' - I think I was in my 30s when I first read it. I don't remember much about it except that I remember thinking that the main character had a 'chip on his shoulder' or 'an attitude'; it told me that I had indeed grown up a bit that I no longer saw things quite the same. Your comment though about it being about the phoniness of the 1950s, that is one of my overwhelming memories of growing up, though I was born in the mid-50s - I think social change came later to the midwest and all...and I think I still have a copy stashed somewhere. Being such a 'classic' and all it is the sort of thing I'd feel I had to keep. I remember reading about Salinger around the time of his death (and I think I blogged about it); it always struck me as sad that he should 'regret' his success with the book. I gather Margaret Mitchell had difficulties with her success and so did Harper Lee. J.K. Rowling seems to be coping well, however. I just finished reading her book The Casual Vacancy. I would say it was good, but gritty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Shelley. always sad when an author regrets having written and published a Great book. Another author who comes to mind as having regretted her book is grace meticulous (sp?) author of Peyton Place.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...