Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Gift!


An old expression, “Christmas Gift," was much used in days gone by, but is rarely heard any more except among the older generation. It’s meaning is roughly the equivalent of saying “Merry Christmas.” And that is my wish to you today.

Credit: goodreads.com
The expression can be traced back to as early as 1844 in the southern United States, when people would wake on Christmas morning and rush to say "Christmas Gift" before anyone else. The person being told "Christmas Gift!" was expected to present the person saying it to them with a present, such as candy or nuts.

In more recent times, it was carried out in fun, with no real expectation of a treat to appear. I heard this term growing up, used by members of my mother's family, but the term has "died out,"  as there are so few of the old generation remaining. It was a tradition to try to be the first one to "get" the other members by uttering the phrase. It  was a way to create fun when often in reality there were few Christmas treats.

"Christmas Eve Gift" was a variation, and the Dictionary of American Regional English traces the first written uses of "Christmas Eve Gift" back to 1954.


Credit: amazon.com

In 1991, Georgia author Ferrol Sams published the book Christmas Gift, a charming account of Christmas in a Fayette County, Ga. Sams, who also authored Run with the Horseman, weaves memories of his boyhood Christmases in the dark days of the Depression when the family was strapped for material resources adequate to their generous spirits. During that time, members of the Sams household, he writes, would greet each other with the joyous cry of "Christmas Gift" in order to share the tidings of the season and celebrate their connection.

Credit: 123RF.com


So I am wishing each of you a Merry Christmas, or “Christmas Gift.” 

Thank you so much for reading and leaving comments here on my blog. It has been a real pleasure “getting to know you" through your visits and comments. I have met many of you through your interesting and entertaining blogs, and these past months have been such a treasure.

Now it's time to relax and enjoy your holiday with family and friends. Be safe and be happy!


12 comments:

  1. I loved reading about that expression, especially its use at a time when people didn't have much in the way of material things to offer ... Have a very happy Christmas !xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many ways it seemed people back then enjoyed things more because they had less. And a happy Christmas to you in France!

      Delete
  2. I enjoy your posts about history and tradition. In this case a tradition I have never heard of. Fun to learn something new.

    Wishing you and your family Happy Holidays.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love talking about history and the old ways and enjoy recording little stories about them. I'm afraid some of the traditions will be lost in history and in my own humble and meager way, hope to keep them alive by recording them.

      Delete
  3. I´m impressed by all the things you write, what a collection! Thank you for sharing your posts with us; I had no idea of " The Christmas Gift ".
    Hoping to read your interesting blog in the future too.
    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be one of my "shortcomings," this remembering things I've heard told my parents/grandparents or things I experienced in my younger days. I may exhaust the repertoire one day soon!

      Delete
  4. "Christmas Gift, Sanda"! Love that. Reminds me of our parents/grandparents.... I, too, love your memories of history and traditions. Thanks for sharing!
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you, like me, grew up hearing that term. It's funny, but I suppose as times became more "modern" we lost many of our folk traditions that were unique to our little corner of the world. I blame television for making everyone sound and think alike!!

      Delete
  5. What a sweet tradition, Christmas Gift; one I have never heard of. I love your stories of the old days, as you have such an excellent memory. So often you help me to remember that which is buried and I had forgotten, so Thank You for that, and Best Wishes for a beautiful Christmas Day. Looking forward to more great posts in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good memory is not always a "good thing," because I'll wake up in the middle of the night remembering just a "piece" of something and drive myself crazy until I can remember the entire thing -- or have to ask someone who can recreate the memory for me!

      Hope yours was a great Christmas Day!

      Delete
  6. How well I remember the term...one of our aunts would rush out the door to be the first to say it to arriving guests at our grandmothers house
    Don't think we need to worry about you rumning out of things to write about with a memory like yours! So glad you keep me remembering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our "Aunt Sister" was the one who enjoyed giving the greeting first, wasn't she? How exciting Christmas was back then. What happened????

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...