Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Two Turtle Doves


Shortly after dawn I stepped outside my back door and beheld a sweet and beautiful sight.

Two mourning doves were perched on a tree limb very near the deck. They were preening and were totally absorbed with each other, to the point they didn't seem to notice my presence.

I silently took my phone in hand and started making pictures. Hoping for a closer shot, I moved in, fully expecting them to fly away. But surprisingly, they seemed to ignore me, which was a good thing for me.

The birds perched on the lowest thin branch.


The birds can be seen a bit more clearly in this photo.

A little more daylight gives a better view of the doves.




This is obviously not the best photo of perching birds, but it was a special moment and I'm happy they didn't fly away when I got relatively near them.



Credit: wikipedia
American Mourning Dove. The wings can make an unusual whistling sound upon take-off and landing. The bird is a strong fllier, capable of speeds up to 88 km/h (55 mph
).

Mourning doves are quite abundant in this area. They are within the same family of the Turtle Doves, which we all are familiar with through the song, "The Twelve Days of Christmas." Turtle Doves, also known as the European Turtle Dove is found throughout the continent and North Africa.

Credit: wikipedia
European Turtle Dove


Credit: Abstract-thoughts.com

I was pleased these "two turtle doves" decided to visit and bring much joy during the Christmas season.


From The Twelve Days of Christmas


On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Two Turtle Doves  
and a partridge in a pear tree.

Credit: Fashion-era.com


Isn't this such a sweet picture?

The Turtle Dove by Sophie Gengembre Anderson

My day was quite hectic and there were challenges, but my morning started perfect with a viewing of the two doves. I think my planets have been out of alignment the past few days. I'm ready for them to shift!! (haha)

How was your day?

13 comments:

  1. Hurrah for two turtle doves to visit just before Christmas. Fingers crossed a partridge will arrive in the next few days!
    Busy here too, going to glaze the ham tomorrow..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! And hopefully will perch in my pear tree! I'll know then that my planets are back in alignment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have mourning doves here too. I love to listen to them cooing early in the morning. In the springtime they make nests in various precarious looking places.

    May your planets soon align!

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their cooing sounds too! I think the axis has shifted and everything is back in alignment!

      Delete
  4. I have the Partridges by the dozen also the Pear tree,anyone have the French hens?

    What an early bird you are Sanda,have never seen the Mourning Turtle dove,such delicate colours.Ida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do send me a partridge, I think that's the same as the Bobwhite Quail, and we see lots of them in summer but not in winter.

      Some days I'm an early bird; some days not.

      Delete
  5. The song is familiar to me too. I learned it at school and still remember parts of it!
    Great pictures.
    My day has been " the usual ", except for some socializing with the owner of our guest horse.
    In fact, the socializing wore me up totally, I had to take a nap afterwards, omg!
    The daylight time is so very short, after tomorrow, it will lengthen - very slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too find socializing exhausting. Thank goodness for refreshing naps. When I arise at 5 a.m. I usually have a one-hour nap after lunch. Love naps!

      So what time does the sun rise and set on these short days of winter in your area?

      Delete
    2. Sunrise 9.25 ( am ) , sunset 15.10 ( pm ), and after 22/12 the sunset lengthens a minute a day ; ).

      Delete
  6. What a sweet, sweet story and the pictures are so, so pretty.
    Things like this make me feel good even if I wasn't the one experiencing it.
    Just reading this makes me feel good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something about birds that's a song to the soul. I have to get a bird feeder to place outside my kitchen window so I can watch them feed all winter long.

      Delete
  7. You know, Sanda, it's those little things like a couple of lovebirds that can re-align our thought process. I love wathing birds! However, today I got realigned by going to the accupuncturist/massage doctor. Now, THAT will get everything in gear! Right now, I feel cool-as-a-cucumber - ready for the hustle and bustle.
    Seriously, I want to wish you a very blessed Christmas and happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it was the turtle doves that got me back in alignment! I am anxious to hear about your experience with the acupuncturist. And a massage sounds just what the doctor ordered to face the upcoming holiday madness.

      And best wishes to you as well!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...