Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Williamsburg Apple Tree Centerpiece

Do you know what this is? Nope, not a cupcake holder, although somewhat similar.



It's a purchased form for making the Colonial Williamsburg Apple Tree centerpiece that was wildly popular some years ago. During the stage of my interest in Williamsburg decor, I made a centerpiece for the dining room table each Christmas. 

This was before some clever person decided to make and sell these metal stands. Back then, I had someone construct for me a wooden stand with nails and it looked something like this:

Image via Pinterest
To make the centerpiece you buy the prettiest Red Delicious Apples you can find:


Then you snip boxwood (the traditional green used at Williamsburg) or other greenery you can find.


The finishing touch is a pineapple in the top, which I don't have yet. Finally, magnolia leaves are placed around the base.

The finished product looks like this:

Image via Pinterest

 As you can see below, some people get creative and substitute oranges stuffed with cloves:

Image via Pinterest
Colonial Williamsburg village in Virginia is known for its decorations using only natural items.

Read about Williamsburg and its role in early American history 



After handling apples for a while, I decided that these beautiful red jewels are good for much more than decorating for Christmas, so I sat down and enjoyed one with a piece of my favorite cheese, Swiss.


Have a good Wednesday; less than two weeks until Christmas!

14 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful even without the pineapple. I still like this look a lot. Remember how rusty those nails became after being stuck thru apples for a couple weeks. I have one of each of those forms but will probably never see them again as they are "somewhere" in a safe place!
    Good work on the decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rusty nails were a great reason for the intro of the metal stand. The nearer the holiday gets the more I want to decorate despite my goal to do very little. Something about an ingrained trait to try and make the holidays special!

      Delete
  2. I'm not familiar with the Williamsburg style of decorating but I quite like the apple display. I do know (from crochet patter books none the less) that the pineapple is a symbol of hospitality though.

    Your red apple and cheese snack looks great. I usually go for the more tart Granny Smith or Pippin but they wouldn't be nearly as pretty in your display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Williamsburg decorations are quite beautiful. You should google the historic Williamsburg site to view them. Granny Smiths are my fav cooking and eating apple as well. Christmas is only time I buy Red Delicious because to me they "say Christmas."

      Delete
  3. I am also not familiar witht he Williamsburg style, but I sure love that apple stand! I can think of so many ways to style with it - just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised I haven't disposed of that stand after several moves but I think I have a sentimental attachment to it. Apples smell so good in the house at Christmas!

      Delete
  4. The apple with the greenery makes a beautiful arrangement and so easy to do + you can eat the apples.Is that Emmental cheese with the hole? Ida

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not familiar with the term Emmental cheese but googled it and learned it is called just plain old Swiss in U.S. they are one and same so far as I can learn. I love it's nutty taste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An alternative for a flower bouquet for your centerpiece on the dining table! Clever.
    Red Delicious apples taste delicious, but have you noticed how long they stay super perfect?
    For ages.
    This makes me wonder what has been added to them, how come are they actually so very shiny?
    Nevertheless, I eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find if I refrigerate the apples they last longer. I'm thinking a glaze/wax is sprayed on the outside to make them prettier, but hopefully the wash in the sink removes that.

      Delete
    2. Where can I purchase the metal stands??? barblenihan@gmail

      Delete
  7. where do I purchase the metal stands???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one of these stands.... Had no idea what it was for. Thankfully Google lens landed me on your site. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google lenses for me too...instead of selling I may get crafty next year
      !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...