Thursday, December 20, 2012

Winter Solstice and Other Musings


On Friday morning, Dec. 21, at 5: 11 a.m. Central Standard Time, the Winter Solstice arrives. This marks the official change from Fall to Winter in the northern hemisphere and is the shortest day of sunlight.

"Little Bantam in the Snow"
Credit: blessed1indeed via almanac.com

In astrological terms, the solstice means the north pole is tipped as far away from the sun as it can go.  Conversely , the south pole is going to be tipped as far toward the sun as it can go. All areas north of the Arctic Circle will be in darkness for 24 hours while south of the Antarctic Circle will have 24 hours of sunshine.

Over the ages, there’s been much lore associated with the Winter Solstice. Some say the  celebration of Christ’s birth was designated by the Catholic Church to be December 25 to compete with, or appease, the Pagans’ celebration of the Winter Solstice festival.

Recently, there’s been a lot of “buzz” about the Mayan Calendar, which some claim predicts the world will end December 21, the day of the Winter Solstice.

Credit: rundangerously.com


As I sit her at 8:30 on Thursday, Dec. 20, and already, in Australia and other places December 21 already arrived. And according to report I heard on the NBC Nightly News, life continues there.

My blog name, Halcyon Days, has an association with the Winter Solstice, because in a story from Greek Mythology, seven days before the Winter Solstice the halcyon, a mythical bird with the body of a kingfisher, begins to build her nest. This takes seven days, after which for another seven days she lays and hatches her eggs.
Kingfisher bird
Credit: texasliberal.com

During this 14-day period, known as "halcyon days," the wind and sea are calm. Modern day usage of the phrase refers to peaceful times and evokes images of an earlier time, remembered as idyllic, whether accurately or not.

I just happen to like the term so that's what I named by blog.

On to other things:

I added a few pieces of lichen from an oak tree to my natural wreath I showed you here two days ago:



I visited a shop in town called "The Lemon Tree." Here are few pictures of their holiday offerings:

These Red Cardinal tree photos are for Patricia! But I feel sure she has her own.




There were several displays featuring this "new" Christmas Green color. I like it!



The silver reindeer were nice!



Finally, a few stormy day photos. Cold weather has definitely arrived in North Alabama. The temperature will drop into the 20s (F.) tonight and the wind is blowing like a storm.







Here's my (Bradford) Pear Tree. Perhaps tomorrow morning I will find a Partridge perched there!

13 comments:

  1. Great post, Sanda. It is late afternoon on the 21st here, and we are all alive and well, if not wilting from the long hot day. Excellent red cardinals in that shop and thank you for the mention! I love that new green too, very nice and am also partial to a silver reindoor. It does look bleak, cold and stormy over there; take care and keep cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean reindEEr, of course. Silly me, it is the season, or the heat....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the heat would be so nice right now, where it's shivering cold outside this morning. I was very partial to those silver reindeer myself and hoping they'll still be there and on sale after Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Your pictures of the sky are so beautiful. I would like those silver reindeer to decorate with. And that black and tan jacquard scarf is great.
    Glad those Mayans were wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stormy weather has passed and it's blazing cold today. This, while you are by now enjoying Sunny California! Enjoy your visit and the holidays.

      Delete
  4. Seems several of us are talking about the solstice and the Mayans. I do love the fact that slowly and surely we will be having more light. We are cold but not as cold as you are.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed reading all the posts about the solstice and Mayans. When it's hot in summer I want cooler weather. Then we have this! Always want what we don't have. But I do enjoy the coziness of winter: fires in the fireplace, cups of hot chocolate, snuggling with the dogs and curling up with a good book. And oh yes, pouring over the seed catalogues which have already begun to arrive in the mail.

      Delete
  5. I´m still here too, the Mayans figured it wrong.
    Though the temperature is " only -12°C ", we have 55 cms of snow, it is too much at this time of the year, as there are yet 3 snow months ahead, and the temperatures will go down, down. I don´t wish to depress you how cold it really can be.
    Indeed, just staying inside in the warmth is a tempting idea, but duties call.
    As you might guess, I´m not liking winter at all. And very soon my limit of Xmas is full too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow does make your life more complicated, doesn't it? Hoping outdoor duties in the cold and snow will pass quickly and you can return inside to the warmth.

      I, too, am ready for Christmas to be over and done with.

      Delete
  6. It is just after 6pm here,we have had a respite from the rain today,sunny blue sky 7c,rain returns tomorrow according to the forecast!.

    Have had a quiet Solstice day here,off to have a cup of tea with HB & enjoy our log fire.

    Hope you are having a peaceful day also. Ida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How comforting the fire and a cup of tea sound. Drizzling rain here all day (Sunday) but sunny tomorrow (prediction). Have a great Christmas, Ida.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed your post along with all the comments. Great photos and it makes we want to get back to my book, Winter Solstice, you have loaned me. Read a lot last night and looks like a good afternoon for more.
    Hope your day is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you will enjoy the book. Such a great cold weather read, especially around Christmas.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...