Sunday, December 16, 2012

Let's Ban Glitter from Christmas

How pretty and festive it looks at Holiday Time, but oh the mess it makes!






A tiny silver tree for atop the mirrored chest in the bedroom. I first placed a few ornaments around the base but soon removed them after they began shedding their glitter coating!

Now, I think this is better after all!

I'm speaking of glitter. It seems that every ornament I've placed on the tree is covered with it. And you know what that means: glitter on the floor, on my hands, on the pets after they swish their tails against the tree.

I've been fighting it for a week now and have come to the conclusion that it will be banned from my house next year. Already I have boxed up many decorations that are going out the door, and these glitter-covered ornaments will soon join them.

In browsing the shops this year, glitter ornaments are everywhere. But another trend I'm seeing is more the local, handmade ornaments that are rustic in nature. Little wooden carvings, birds nest made from twisted twigs, ornaments fashioned from burlap -- these things are appealing to me more and more.

So next year I'm going to concentrate on the natural look. In fact, I may join a growing trend to have a totally unconventional tree such as the one Heather has on her beautiful blog, Lost in Arles. A branch tree! The idea appeals to me very much. And of course, I love silver and white at Christmas anyway.

If you, like me, are tired of messy glitter, lets ban together and buy no more!

What do you think?

14 comments:

  1. I view glitter as I view men - messy, but so worthwhile as to be almost a necessity. But I ended up married to a very tidy man (makes him sound boring, but I assure you he is not), so I have the best of both worlds in that respect. But seriously, the problem is not with the glitter, it's with the glue. When I use Martha Stewart's glitter glue, I can sparkle up a storm.
    I do agree about the charm or those rustic ornaments. I have seen some wonderful homespun style trees that I would be tempted to keep up all year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA; you are funny Beryl.

      I doubt these ornaments were made using a good blue! I think most of them are made in China. I haven't bought any glitter in ages. But I'll remember the glue you mention should I ever decide to sparkle on my own!

      Delete
  2. I love silver at Christmas, and your trees are absolutely beautiful. Don't mind a few glitter ornaments, but very curious about the glittered shoes which have appeared in the shops here lately. Now, I remember my sisters glittering their shoes for tap-dancing, but never thought it would translate to summer sandals for street wear!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love silver and blue at Christmas.

      I can't imagine glitter shoes. Oh well, maybe if you're young enough it would work.

      Delete
  3. I'm not much of a glitter gal. I really like your silver tree though and like the silver/turquoise combo. Could be the glue has aged, maybe after the first bits of glitter have fallen off this year the rest will stay put.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These silver ornaments are new. But the blue ones are two years old and still shedding. No hope, I think.

      Delete
  4. Beryl has a point: cheap glue + glitter doesn't stick = big sparkly mess. I only do glitter in small manageable amounts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big sparkly mess is what I have in the living room, but Christmas will soon be over and I shall banish them from the house forever!

      Delete
  5. Have never been a fan of glitter at Christmas or any time!

    Prefer au natural,a friend gave me a tiny Christmas tree last year,I repotted it left it outside it has grown but still small will bring it in Christmas eve, and back out on Boxing day...this morning walked to the woods and found wild rose hips,and twigs left outside till I decide how to use them.

    Like your green wreath with the gold balls & bow. Ida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will the potted plant be your main Christmas tree? Do you know what variety of evergreen it is? That was a special gift and I know you'll enjoy bringing it inside again this year.

      Oh, please do let us know how you decide to use the rose hips and twigs. I love twigs!!

      Delete
  6. Your Christmas tree is gorgeously decorated. Our´s are usually very humble compared to your´s.
    I have never had anything with glitters ( sequins included ).
    So pretty somewhere ( someone ) else though.
    So, I´m already in the line for the glitter ban ; ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mette. I know your tree is/will be elegantly beautiful, just like everything else that is in your home.

      Good plan that you don't have anything with glitter.

      Delete
  7. Your decorations are all beautiful. I don't like glitter either and haven't had any in my house for several years now. I love the rustic look - all the ornaments made from wood are SO pretty - especially the little angels.
    I'm all for the ban!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Glitter Ban brigade now consists of three people. We might make history here!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...